Strawberry Muesli Parfait (vegan)

reading time: 1 min





To be honest, I don't really care about Valentine's Day, and I'm okay with that. I don't mind the celebration of February 14th, but to me it's just that: Feb 14th, a day like any other day. 

Why would I need an official date to prove my affection to my loved one if I could just do that any other day? My impression is that instead of showing an honest, intuitive gesture of love, most people feel under pressure when V Day (almost like D Day) is coming up - either because they're in a relationship and are struggling to please the expectations of their partner - or they're single and get their nose rubbed in all the pink, glittery, glamorous Valentine's vibes.

Well, nevertheless, I always enjoy the opportunity to pour my heart and soul into a lovely dish, especially when i'm cooking for somebody else, so suitable for today's love cooing I want to share with you my quick, Valentine's-y (but not as cheesy) dessert to share with your loved one.

STRAWBERRY MUESLI PARFAIT

Preparation time: 3 mins (+ 15 mins refrigeration time)
Main ingredients: strawberry, oats, chia
difficulty level: easy
serves: 2
suitable for: vegan, lactose-free, gluten-free, raw food


Ingredients

Muesli layer 
1 cup instant oats *
6 tsp chia seeds
1 – 2 cup soy milk (or almond milk etc.)
6 tsp shredded coconut

Strawberry layer
2 cups diced strawberries
thumb-size piece of fresh ginger, chopped
2 tbsp coconut blossom sugar (or raw cane sugar)
chopped apple 
ground cardamom and organic orange zest, to taste

* use gluten-free oat if intolerant to gluten


Instructions

For the muesli layer: Stir oats, chia seeds, coconut and milk together in a small bowl. Set aside in the fridge for 15 minutes.

For the strawberry layer: Using a fork, smash the berries extracting their juices, but leaving some of the whole. To make it more juicy and spicy, I added an aromatic wintry mixture of ginger, apple and orange for a bit of zest.
 
Actually, I used my Spicy Ginger Sauce from the Buckwheat Pancake recipe for this (which will be up by next weekend), however, you could also just omit the ginger altogether and just fold chopped apple and orange zest into the strawberry mash, or quickly caramelize the ginger in a pan with the coconut blossom sugar, chopped apple, ground cardamom and orange zest.  

Lastly, divide everything into two nice glasses or jars, layering the soaked muesli and the spicy strawberry mash alternately.

You can use the leftover sauce with pancakes, (coconut / soy) yogurt, ice cream, or layered with almond, peanut or cashew butter. Speaking of cashew butter!

TIP: Add a teaspoon of cashew butter to your parfait. It will be like peanut butter jelly in a glass - it will be like heaven in a glass! :)


 

Happy Sunday!


Maisy

0 Comments